Home Organizing Tips
Here are some tasks that you can accomplish in the time it takes to brew your morning tea or coffee:
- Empty the dishwasher
- Clean out a shelf or drawer in the refrigerator
- Sweep the kitchen floor
- Load the dishwasher
- Go through your coupon holder/drawer and weed out expired ones
- Straighten up your junk drawer
- Clean out a shelf in the pantry
- Write out your grocery list, or “to do” list
- Return a phone call/make an appointment
- Read the front page of the newspaper and then recycle it
- Take out the trash
- Refill salt/pepper/olive oil containers
- Call to cancel an unsolicited catalog (See the "How to Handle Junk Mail" video below.
Tips for Moving
• Mark boxes for which room they are going to, not where they came from – try color-coding.
• Mark boxes of items that will be used immediately in the new house. Make sure they are loaded last on the truck and unloaded first.
• Reduce children's anxiety by ensuring their new rooms are set up quickly and as similar to their old rooms as possible.
• Give each family member a "personal box" to keep track of items important to them during the move.
• Keep all important paperwork with you during the move.
Basic Tips to Get You Started
I recently shared organizing tips with Capitol Morning Report:
Click here for overview of basic organization tips!
Click here for office organizing tips!
Organizing Tips 1
Organizing Tips 2
Moving Preparations 1
Moving Preparations 2
How To Handle Junk Mail
BEFORE YOU BUY:
Another pair of shoes
Choose a pair to throw/give away
A kitchen gadget or holiday decoration that will be used once a year
Know where you’re going to store it for the rest of the year
A workout machine
Know where you’re going to keep it when not in use
A souvenir from your latest travels
Are willing to dust around it for the next 20 years
Donate 5 you’ve already read to the library
A bunch of containers, in anticipation of someday getting organized
Know what size and how many containers you’ll need
Contact Gwynnae Byrd, professional organizer & efficiency consultant, at (916) 202-1297 or send her an email to get started!